Learning Together – Praying the Psalms
led by Pastor Pye
There have been many times in my prayer life in which I am at a loss for words. The Psalms have helped me framed some of my prayers before God. The Psalms are not just prayers of praise. Some of the Psalms have been prayed in the middle of the battlefield or during conflict which the author faces. The first 7 Psalms are an introduction to the rest of the Psalms. They deal with the range of emotions faced by the Psalmist.
• Does God know what is on our mouths before we pray? Why pray then?
• Can we pray without words?
• Can we pray against our enemies?
• What if God does not answer our prayers the way we want him to?
• Why do we find it so difficult to pray?
In preparation for each study we prepare by reading each Psalm in the New International Version and the English Standard Version. We do the homework by asking these 3 questions:
1. GOD-What does this Psalm teach me about God?
2. LIFE-What does this Psalm teach me about life as a follower of Jesus?
(a promise to cherish, something to practise, something to pray about, something to do more research in the Bible, something that I can share with someone else, a warning for me to heed)
3. PRAYER-How can I pray this Psalm?
It will start on Wednesday April 1, 2020.
All are welcome!
(7 sessions) Wednesdays, April 1 to June 3 (exceptions: April 15 & 22, May 27) | Get Directions
12:45 to 2:30pm | Lower Hall